Wednesday 3 August 2011

Tygers of Pan Tang - Wildcat (1980)



Ah, NWOBHM - never really got into this, too
much hair and spray on trousers which offended
my 100% punk view of music.

But ....... among all the dross that every record
company signed up in case they lost out on the
next big thing (there were some genuine contenders
that stood the test of time but also some dreadful
shit that managed to cling on to the tails of the
bandwagon) the Tygers of Pan Tang managed to
sink their claws into me...... (sink their claws into me -
did you see what I did there? Tigers have claws and in
a non-linear narrative, I alluded in musical terms that ....
......... oh, never mind.)

I did not like any of their other releases but the debut album
hit all the right buttons for me.

Great riffs, catchy tunes, no ballads, a vocalist that had
a punky voice - no screaming or high pitched wailing and
a guitar player who, when soloing, was clearly influenced by
the Motorhead "Fast" Eddie Clarke school of heavy, fast
blues playing circa "Overkill" and "Bomber".

2 comments:

  1. Man, I don't know what it is but these guys never done it for me. Kitto who used to post on VDO knows their drummer or something. Terrible stuff haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 100% right - they are terrible - except for this album where you are wrong .............. you have much to learn young blogger.

    ReplyDelete