Monday 9 May 2011

Beautiful People - If 60's Were 90's (1994)



This has disaster written all over it - a bunch of
ravers let loose on Hendrix tunes!

But before you set fire to your guitar and hunt them
down ..... have a listen.

Rather than a cheap cash in, these guys took their
ideas to Jimi's father who gave his complete permission
for them to go ahead.

This has been done with respect and care and the
end results take the Hendrix legacy into a different genre.

Using many snippets of riffs and vocals as a template, they
are woven into ambient/acid beat tracks that have a real
groove to them. The Jimi samples are not smothered or
hidden underneath the songs, rather they become the driving
force in the loops and should appeal to guitar or electronic fans.

Or maybe not - I do not care.


1 comment:

  1. As soon as the first beat dropped my reaction was "oooof"
    I can understand why Hendrix fans would hate it, but any Hendrix fans who love dance music as well should be into it.
    It's done a lot better than I expected it to be. I can feel it!

    I'm still only 1 track in but I think this is going to be a big feature of my summer this year. Cheers Tony!

    ReplyDelete