Monday 1 February 2016

ROSY FINCH - WITCHBORO 2015

Guest Writer Doug E Dogg

Mr Maim occasionally attaches a very brief note to some of 
the new albums he sends me, mainly to give me some reassurance
 it isn't a "window chucker" ! This phrase arose from some 
albums he did for me many years ago which, when I gave 
him my thoughts on them, stated that my finger was hovering 
over the electric window switch in readiness to hurl the soon 
to be ejected cd from my car ! This very fine album was in 
no danger of this fate from the moment it started 
blaring out of the speakers.


Tony's note read... " what if The Runaways had formed today, 
raised on stoner bands ?"......as so often he was absolutely 
spot on ! They are a 3 piece from Spain with Mireia on guitar and 
vocals, Elena on bass and vocals and Lluis on drums. The vocals 
having that certain desperate throat ripping Joan Jett-ishness to 
them...a good thing in my book. This threesome make a very fine
 racket throughout with shitloads of other influences thrown in 
for good measure....Hole, Babes In Toyland, L7, Girlschool and 

The Lunachicks come to mind. Tracks range from full on foot 
stompers with a fuzzed up metal glam feel, to those containing 
moments of incredibly oppressive heaviness, to numbers that 
either lurch suddenly into full gear almost taking you by surprise 
by their brutality and change of pace or ones that slowly build to 
a crescendo that makes you reach for the repeat play button as the
 track fades out.

The best example of the latter is the breathtakingly 
atmospheric "Ligeia" which is probably my favourite new track of 2015. 
The musicianship and production are first class throughout and 
I keenly look forward to hearing any future offerings.

To get some idea what I'm blabbering on about  
I urge you to check out the whole album...NOW !

No comments:

Post a Comment